Monday, January 26, 2015

Abby got a haircut!

Email from December 2, 2014



Dear Mom,

I'm so glad you got the link that Kurt sent! Isn't he awesome?? I love the Kuhns. They are one of my favorite members. They are awesome. I will definitely tell him that you really enjoyed it. He wanted everyone to love it. We are eating dinner with them tonight so I'll be sure to let them know how much you appreciated it. Did you email him back? I think it's awesome that you are in contact with some of the members I serve. It makes me super happy! Sherry cut my hair. The woman who sent those pictures. She cut my bangs for me. I really need someone to even them out though...the other side looks kind of choppy and I need someone to fix it. Sherry did a really good job though. I may have someone trim my hair though. It needs it badly. I just don't want to cut it off. I totally forgot it was Black Friday because everyone we went to see was home and didn't shop for Black Friday. But I heard it was really crazy, especially on Thanksgiving. I can imagine Dad's reaction to being out and about on Thanksgiving just to get some good deals. Oh did you get Sherry's email regarding additions to my Christmas list? I guess even if you did, it's too late since you already sent me a Christmas package. But that's okay! Maybe I'll buy some of my own. I need a calendar and I love Bath and Body's lotions at Christmas time. Oh and I got Grandma's Christmas package too. I opened the first gift last night! It was a nativity that I am going to put up in our apartment. I'm so excited! All of my gifts are under our tiny little Christmas tree and I'll just keep adding them to the pile. It makes me so happy! 

R is doing awesome! I love her so much! I didn't get to see her yesterday because we were on exchanges. I was in a Spanish ward and they feed you SOOOO much food. I felt so stuffed afterward. I couldn't even drink all the hot chocolate and I love hot chocolate. But R is definitely ready for her baptism. We are praying for her in every prayer we say and we are praying for her husband and his back. She is so excited for her baptism on Saturday. At eleven o'clock on Saturday (or noon your time) think of me because I'll be at my first baptism! And I'll be sure to send pictures home. I love her so much and she is so sweet. She loves us and I love being her missionary. It's the greatest thing ever to know that I've helped someone come closer to Christ. It has been incredible to see the change that has come about in her. She has sacrificed so much to prepare herself for baptism. It's great to see that she wants this. She wants it so much and I'm so grateful for that. I'm grateful that we found her. She has such awesome determination to be a member of the church. She wants it and we've seen it because of the way that she has changed. Continue to pray for her. She needs it because Satan will be attacking her this week.

Thanksgiving was so much fun! I thought it was going to be hard but it wasn't as bad as I thought it was. Of course, it was hard when it ended, but during the day it was great! We hung out as a zone with other missionaries which I always love. I love the missionaries here so much. they are so amazing and I hope I can stay friends with them when they leave or when I leave. Sister Lunddahl and I and the other sisters in our zone listened to a couple elders in our zone play the piano. It was really cool. Elder Patterson is great. I love him. And Elder Garbero has a beautiful voice. He is going to do a musical number for us at Ronda's baptism. Then we had Thanksgiving at the Kuhns, as you know. It was great! I felt a little weird at the table we were sitting at because I was mostly observing but then Elder Grisenti and Elder Oliphant came and they talked to us so it was all good. We watched 17 Miracles which always makes me cry. It was great though. I loved it. And then everyone had to go so we stayed there and played Catch Phrase with Melanie and Kurt. It was awesome! I loved it. I want to play again. It would be great if we could do that. 

We have no car at the moment. There is a tiny little dent in it that needed to be fixed, I guess so we had to take it clear to Sanger and leave it there for a few days. Hopefully we'll get it back tomorrow. I'm sure we will. They said it wouldn't take that long to fix it. I hope not because it's hard being without a car. We were on exchanges so Sister Lunddahl had to be in charge of finding member transportation. She did great though. I don't know if she feels like she did but I know she did. Our members are super willing to help us in any way that they can. It's awesome. We just need to figure tonight out. 

We are still working with C but she is kind of in and out of committing. She said she needs a fresh start but then she didn't want to meet with us. It was really sad. But we are still working with her and hopefully we will be able to help her progress. 


Tell the elder what an incredible thing he did!

Good luck with school! I'm sure you're doing awesome. You can't control the teachers but you can control your attitude. That's what I've learned being our here. 

Sorry this is shorter than normal. I am super distracted today and I don't know why...but we went to the temple and that was really great! I don't know who my new companion will be. Transfers are on December 31 so after Christmas. I'm excited to be able to talk to you. I think we get to Skype so prepare for that! I love you and pray for you always and I'm so grateful for  you. the zone leaders have my package so we'll get it soon. I love you!

Always <3,
Sister Reese 



Dad,

I can't believe it's December either! I can't believe that today I only have a year left until my release date! It goes by so fast! I'm kind of sad that it's flying by like it is...I love being a missionary and it's so sad to see the people who are going home soon and how much they love being a missionary. I wasn't sure I would ever get to that point but I'm there now! I love being here. It's such an incredible opportunity. I am so grateful to be able to serve the Lord. It's a privilege and a blessing and I can't believe I get to be one who serves Him.

Yeah, Kurt and Melanie Kuhn are great. I love them so much. I'm glad you liked the video and pictures they sent. They were hoping you would. Their home is my home away from home. I know I can always go back there and I am so grateful for that. They have helped me overcome my homesickness just because of how awesome and welcoming they are. And they love me. I'm their favorite ;) But know that I am being taken care of by the incredible members here. Melanie is always here to help us. And there are so many others that love us so much and that I can't wait until I can introduce you to. One day. I don't know when but one day you will get to meet these awesome people that have helped me so much. They have taken care of me and I can't thank them enough for all that they do.

Thanksgiving was awesome! First we hung out with our zone and other people in the different wards. I loved that. I love missionaries. I especially love all the missionaries that I have the privilege of serving with. Our zone is great. I love them all so much and I am so blessed to have such incredible support from the missionaries here. After that Sister Lunddahl and I went to the Kuhns' and made oreo truffles--they are so good! You would love them! I'll make some when I get home. They are super easy to make and everyone liked them. We are making them for our baptism on Saturday too. Then everyone started showing up and we ate dinner. I overate of course and then couldn't eat dessert. I was so sad. But then we watched 17 Miracles which was really good. I love that movie. It always makes me cry. After that all the other missionaries left so Sister Lunddahl and I played Catch Phrase with Melanie and Kurt. It was great! I want to play again! Christmas we probably will...I'm so excited to be able to talk to all of you on Christmas Day! It's going to be so great! I think we even get to Skype so I'll get to see you. Where are you going for Christmas??

the zone leaders have my package so I'll get it either today or tomorrow. They said it was big so I'm excited. I know I can't open presents until Christmas but they can go under our three foot tree! Would it have been so hard to get a little tree for Christmas even though we're never there?? We had a member give us one and it makes me so happy! Every time we go in our apartment and plug in our tree I smile really big. And I opened the first gift that Grandma and Nancy sent me! It's a Nativity! I am so excited to put it up!

R baptism is coming up on Saturday! I'm so excited! At 11 our time, she will be getting baptized. I can't wait. It's my first baptism and I love her so much! I'm so grateful that I have been able to see her progress. I know that your prayers are helping. I told her you were praying for her and she smiled. She said she wants to meet my family one day! So maybe you can meet her. I'd love that. She is one of my favorite people in this area. Probably because I have taught her so much and I love her so much. I can't wait until I see her enter the waters of baptism and it's even better because Sister Lunddahl will get to have a baptism before she leaves! It makes these last three months even more worth it than ever. I love it! It's been really incredible to see the change of heart Ronda has gone through. I love it so much. I know change is hard but she has taken it in stride and she has sacrificed to much. It's been great to see that.

We don't have a car right now. We had to take it in yesterday morning and leave it in Sanger for them to fix a little dent in it. I didn't think it really needed to be fixed, but the mission office did so we had to take it in. We also had to get member transportation which really isn't that hard but it can be. We were on exchanges so I was in a Spanish area yesterday. They fed us so much food! I was so stuffed by the end of dinner. But they made carne asada! It reminded me of when you used to make it. It was really good. We haven't had that in a while. 

Have fun in DC. You know how much I want to visit...so you should get a souvenir there and send it to me! Just kidding...sort of. The temple there is gorgeous. Have you ever gone through? Actually I think Mom told me once that you have gone through. I want to one day!

We had this incredible sister with us this week. Her name is Sister Bateman and she is getting ready to go home. She helped us out so much and I'm so grateful for the example she is. She helped us remember to focus even though Sister Lunddahl leaves next week. I'm so sad about that and I don't want her to go but I know the Lord has a plan for both of us. She is needed back on Temple Square and whoever my new companion is I will need. I know that and I tell myself that all the time.

Sorry this is so short! I have been really distracted and haven't been able to focus today. But I love you and am grateful for you! We went to the temple today which was really awesome. I love going there. I had a good heart to heart with God in the Celestial Room. It helps me to be able to be there. 

Oh! one more thing. We are trying to teach two part-member families. If you could pray for them, that'd be awesome! L is definitely ready but she doesn't want to sacrifice some things and B is hesitant but I know that it is the missing piece she needs. Thanks!

I love you so much and hope you always remember that. Thank you for your support. I am lucky to be your daughter!

Always <3,
Sister Reese



No comments:

Post a Comment